4.10.2011

Princess and the Petal: April Showers Bring May Flowers

It is no secret to those that know me...I love flowers. In a pot, in a photo, on my clothes, and ESPECIALLY, in my hair. I have been wearing flowers in my hair since before it was cool. {I state that as a fact, not in a way to declare myself as a trendsetter. It's relevant to my story, I swear.} 

In fact, my fellow playground princesses decided to forego kickball in favor of making flower chains for our hair (and necks, and ankles, and wrists...) You know, the ones you slice a little opening in the stem, link another flower through, and then promptly dodge all the bees that follow you around the school yard? Yeah, those.

Maybe it's because I've always had a curly 'fro and I felt a petalicious distraction was just what I needed to keep people focused away from my fugg curly bangs or my new-haircut-gone-mullet in the 80's. My sister and I even have a theme song for my hair, but I'll spare you on that one.

I once wore a bright pink Hawaiian flower (by my ear) to a Denton bar and got eye rolls from all the cute college girls (the same ones--I might add--who are probably wearing flowers on their clothes now, 5 years later. Ha!) That instance even spawned a nickname for me from a friend's crush du jour. I simply say all of this because although I am pretty timid when it comes to trends/fashion/risk-taking/being daring in any way, shape, or form, this is the one area where I've never cared about ridicule. I'm not sure why, but I have worn, and always will wear flowers on my person without the bat of an eyelash. In fact, it has helped me examine my life in other areas...why can't I feel this free with my writing? with boys? with dreams? with {insert ANY area of my life here}?

So, today I needed inspiration for upcoming choices I must make about my life. I decided I'd post a pic of a flower I wore to my beautiful friend's shower last weekend, appropriately themed: April showers...bring May flowers! Loved it. 

Ps. Sorry for the "I just took at pic of myself for my Myspace page" angle. I was going to send this flower pic to my bestie, but then decided that was too weird. But not too weird to post it for all of the interwebz to see. Hm.