7.19.2012

The Price of Perfection

I've been suffering from an illness called 'Analysis Paralysis'. From Wikipedia:

The term "analysis paralysis" or "paralysis of analysis" refers to over-analyzing (or over-thinking) a situation, so that a decision or action is never taken, in effect paralyzing the outcome...A person might be seeking the optimal or "perfect" solution upfront, and fear making any decision which could lead to erroneous results, when on the way to a better solution.

In all seriousness, though this is not an illness per se, it is indeed crippling. As a writer, I do this constantly. I live in perpetual fear of creating the 'greatest book never written' and I go for long periods of silence on my blog because of this very affliction. {I am constantly writing, just not publicly.}

Recently I realized why this type of thinking is so dangerous when I saw this sign in the bathroom of a local Starbucks {yes, I took out my iPhone in a pub-toilet and yes, I'm okay with that fact...sometimes I even check Facebook in there. Too much?}


Seeing this, I have to ask: Is that true Starbucks? Can anything be truly perfect? Because, no offense, but I drink so many Grande no-water Chais there that I can confidently say I'd bring back every darn one of them. Too much foam, not enough foam, too spicy, kinda watery, lukewarm, hella hot...you get the picture. Honestly, I don't even know what the 'perfect' drink should taste like. When did I have this exemplar of perfection...in San Francisco? Last year? Will it be tomorrow's drink? How is anyone supposed to pin that blue ribbon on anything in life?

I ask these questions to show you my thought process on EVERYTHING. I am indeed a perfectionist. But, perfection is a myth. There is only One who was and is perfect...all the rest is just striving toward it on a spectrum. This realization, my friends, is uber-freeing. Is it not?

Regarding writing, blogging {check out this gal's tagline on her blog...love it}, decorating, finding my life's purpose: the idea that I can never be perfect allows me to open up to whatever is trying to be expressed in the moment. My ideas will be constantly changing...that's ok, just write the book based on NOW. My tastes are always evolving...that's ok, just decorate it how you want it NOW. My body will never look like Charlize Theron's...that's ok, just work on getting as fit as YOU possibly can. People say hurtful comments or criticism...that's ok, we don't express ideas to please others. We express to live out our God-given calling or talents. My blog doesn't need thousands of followers or have enough ad revenue to be a thriving business--it merely needs to be a vehicle for my unique voice in the world. Isn't that enough for any of us?